Submissions to the San Diego Poetry Annual
WHEN TO SUBMIT:
June 15 to October 15 each year.
WHERE TO SUBMIT:
SUBMIT TO ONLY ONE REGIONAL EDITOR — submitting to more than one Regional Editor may result in disqualification.
Brandon Cesmat — email@example.com
Seretta Martin — firstname.lastname@example.org
Jim Moreno — email@example.com
Robt O’Sullivan Schleith — firstname.lastname@example.org
John Rubio — email@example.com
Terrence Spohn — firstname.lastname@example.org
Jon Wesick — email@example.com
Olga García – firstname.lastname@example.org (for bilingual poems)
Submissions sent directly to Garden Oak Press — email@example.com — will be forwarded to a Regional Editor for review.
HOW TO SUBMIT:
Submissions by e-mail only. Place ALL submitted poems in a single attachment to your e-mail. Please use “.doc” or “.docx” format.
- Do NOT paste the poems into the body of the e-mail, as this may cause incorrect formatting/line breaks.
- Do NOT send each poem as an individual attachment, as this may cause some poems to be lost or attributed to another poet.
- Please include a short (50 words) biography as part of your e-mail attachment.
WHAT TO SUBMIT:
New, previously unpublished work ONLY.
- Poets are encouraged to send shorter work so that more poets can be included in the anthology. However, there are NO restrictions on length and NO taboos.
- The dual goals of the San Diego Poetry Annual are excellence and the celebration of diversity within our region.
HOW MANY POEMS CAN BE SUBMITTED?
Poets can submit up to three (3) poems for consideration.
- No simultaneous submissions: do not submit poems currently submitted to any other publication.
- Our current practice is to publish only one poem from each contributing poet, but more than one poem per poet may be accepted.
WHO CAN SUBMIT?
Submissions are open to all who live, work, reside, go to school in or visit the San Diego area, or those who have relatives, friends or another association with our region.
IS THERE A THEME?
No theme, no subject matter restrictions. (Poems do not have be about the San Diego region.)
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
Poets are never charged a fee of any sort.
No poet is ever required to buy a copy of the annual, but copies will be made available by ordering/prepayment to contributing poets at a special price, discounted to actual cost. Garden Oak Press makes no profit on these sales to contributing poets.
HOW MUCH DOES IT PAY?
There is no pay.
The annual takes only the first right of publication. Following our publication, the poet retains full copyright ownership and control of his/her poem(s).
- Instead of providing free copies to contributing poets, those very copies are donated in the name of contributing poets to college, university and public libraries throughout San Diego County to ensure the permanence of the annual.
- As a result, the San Diego Poetry Annual is part of the permanent collections of every college and university library in San Diego County, the county library system, the San Diego City Library system, and the libraries of independent cities within the county, including Oceanside, Escondido, Carlsbad, Chula Vista and National City, so that future generations of readers will be able to access the San Diego Poetry Annual.
WHEN WILL THE NEW ANNUAL BE PUBLISHED?
The annual is published March 1st of each calendar year. Celebratory readings from the new annual begin in April.
HOW WILL I KNOW IF MY WORK HAS BEEN ACCEPTED?
Poets whose work is accepted for publication are informed by e-mail and/or through the listing of their names and poems on this website. The e-mails are sent by Regional Editors from October through February. The listing of poets and poems appears in late January or early February each year.
WHERE CAN I BUY A COPY OF THE ANNUAL?
All editions of the San Diego Poetry Annual can also be purchased online at amazon.com.
- The new annual is also available online from barnesandnoble.com and powells.com, and can be ordered through any bookstore via Ingram Books.
- Limited copies of new editions are available at Bluestocking Books, 3817 Fifth Ave., San Diego, CA 92103 (619) 296-1424 and D.G. Wills Books, 7461 Girard Ave., La Jolla, CA 92037 (858) 456-1800.
E-mail Garden Oak Press at firstname.lastname@example.org.